Treatment Options for Prostate Cancer
If you have prostate cancer, UPMC CancerCenter provides state-of-the-art, evidence-based treatments.
Our team of medical, radiation, and surgical oncologists, radiologists, and pathologists:
- Works with your referring doctor to come up with the best mix of therapeutic approaches for you.
- Tailors your plan of care to meet your unique needs and treatment goals.
- Follows national standards for practice in treating prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer Treatment Options
Your plan of care depends on many factors. These include the type and stage of your prostate cancer, your basic health, and others.
Our goal is to design a treatment plan that will ensure the best possible results.
Prostate cancer care often includes a mix of the following treatments:
- Prostate surgery to remove a tumor or cancerous tissue is often a treatment your doctor will suggest. Our surgical oncologists are experts in minimally invasive and robotic methods to remove cancerous (malignant) and noncancerous (benign) tumors. Your surgeon will discuss your options after a thorough review of your diagnosis. Surgery to treat prostate cancer often goes hand-in-hand with medical or radiation oncology for greater benefits.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer varies based on the type and stage of disease. In most cases, this treatment uses high-energy x-rays or concentrated radioactive materials to safely kill cancer cells. Doctors often pair radiation with medical treatment.
- Medical oncology for prostate cancer uses chemotherapy drugs, gene therapy, biologic therapy, or regional perfusion to treat cancer. Side effects vary with the type of treatment.
In some cases, you may have the chance to take part in clinical trials of the latest therapy and approaches to prostate cancer treatment.
Prostate Cancer Treatment at UPMC: Treating the Whole Person
At UPMC CancerCenter, we believe that the best prostate cancer treatment begins with a focus on you.
We offer a range of support services that can help you feel more at ease and make your treatments more effective.
These services can help you and your loved ones manage cancer treatment and recovery:
- Behavioral medicine — psychologists and psychiatrists can help you create a plan for meeting the challenges of prostate cancer.
- Nutrition for prostate cancer — our diet and nutrition experts can craft a meal plan to help you regain strength or support your health.
- Prostate cancer pain management — pain experts will work with your care team to relieve pain from prostate cancer treatment.
- Palliative care — our team's goal is to improve the quality of life for people who are no longer responding to prostate cancer treatments.
- Social support — social workers can help you manage the practical aspects of living with prostate cancer.
- Interpreter services — interpreters can help non-English speaking patients and others with language barriers discern the cancer treatment process.
Contact Us About Prostate Cancer Treatment
To learn more or make an appointment for prostate cancer care at UPMC CancerCenter, call 412-647-2811.