Types of Gifts
Browse the types of gifts you can make to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Memorial gifts, and gifts made in honor of family and friend(s) for birthdays, anniversaries or other notable occasions, are wonderful ways to show how much you care.
To give a donation in honor of or in memory of a loved one, please indicate your request in writing when you mail a donation to us. Please download our donation form or you may donate directly online to either UPCI (to support cancer research) or UPMC Hillman Cancer Center (to support patient care).
- To support cancer research, please designate your gift to the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (UPCI).
- To support patient care, please designate your gift to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
- If you would prefer to have your gift support a more specific cancer research or patient services area, please contact our Development Office at 412-623-4700.
Please mail your donation (with donation form) to:
UPMC Cancer Pavilion, Suite 1B
5150 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
If you have any questions or if you would like to request a pre-addressed donation form and envelope, please call the Development Department at 412-623-4700 – we will be glad to help.
Endowment funds play a fundamental role in supporting and helping to advance the missions of UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Endowment funds are permanent legacies that provide significant donor recognition as well as vital annual income in perpetuity for UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Creating endowed chairs has proven to be particularly effective in recruiting, supporting, and retaining top leadership in a medical discipline. Endowed chairs are cornerstones for an academic organization such as ours — an organization where individuals' careers encompass myriad responsibilities. For the individuals whom they support, endowed chairs lend prestige, visibility and, most importantly, greater flexibility for the chair-holders to rapidly achieve their goals.
For more information on endowments, major gifts and other naming opportunities, please call our Development Office at 412-623-4700.
Frieda G. and Saul F. Shapira BRCA-Associated Cancer Research Program
Both men and women may carry the BRCA genes, commonly referred to as the “breast cancer genes,” and can pass a mutated, cancer-causing copy along to their children. Through a critical collaboration between the premier physicians and scientists at UPCI and Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC, the Frieda G. and Saul F. Shapira BRCA-Associated Cancer Research Program aims to advance the understanding, prevention, and treatment of BRCA-associated malignancies including breast, ovarian, and pancreatic cancers. Gifts to the BRCA Research Program, including the inaugural $1 million donation from the David S. and Karen A. Shapira Foundation, are matched dollar-for-dollar by UPMC in an effort to raise a total of $5 million to further enhance the support for these critical research efforts.
To learn more about ways you can support the Frieda G. and Saul F. Shapira BRCA-Associated Cancer Research Program, please call 412-623-4700.
Stanley M. Marks, MD, Endowed Research Fund
The Stanley M. Marks, MD, Endowed Research Fund provides a critical base of support to ensure a strong, steady future for clinical research initiatives at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Interest from the fund will finance several important clinical and translational research initiatives, and will provide pilot funding for young investigators to generate sufficient preliminary results to compete for successful major grant funding, and recruitment funds for new research and clinical leaders. The fund also honors Dr. Stanley Marks, an outstanding administrator and clinician whose leadership, expertise, and vision helped to shape the development and growth of UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Ultimately, donations to the Stanley M. Marks, MD, Endowed Research Fund will provide ongoing support to help UPMC Hillman Cancer Center develop new treatments that will revolutionize patient care in Pittsburgh and around the world.
You can learn more about the Stanley M. Marks, MD, Endowed Research Fund or make a donation in support of its efforts by calling 412-623-4700.
- The Claude Worthington Benedum Endowed Chair in Radiation Oncology
- The Jane and Carl Citron Endowed Chair in Colon Cancer
- The Richard M. Cyert Endowed Chair in Molecular Oncology
- The Gregory T.H. Davies Endowed Chair in Brain Tumor Research and Physician Education
- The Lawrence Ellis Endowed Chair in Hematology and Oncology
- The Bernard Fisher Endowed Chair in Surgical Oncology
- The Giant Eagle Foundation Endowed Chair in Cancer Genetics
- The Hillman Endowed Chair in Oncology
- The Sampson Family Endowed Chair in Thoracic Surgical Oncology
- The Sandra and Thomas Usher Endowed Chair in Melanoma
- The Arnold Palmer Endowed Chair in Cancer Prevention
- The Pittsburgh Foundation Endowed Chair in Innovative Cancer Research
- UPMC Endowed Chair in Head and Neck Cancer Surgical Research
- UPMC Endowed Chair in Lung Cancer Research
- UPMC Endowed Chair in Advanced Oncologic Head and Neck Surgery
- UPMC Endowed Chair in Cancer Prevention Research
- UPMC Endowed Chair in Cancer Virology Research
Family Legacy Society
- Suzanne Hill Alfano Endowment for Lung Cancer Research
- Nathan S. Arenson Fund for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Adriane R. Aul Memorial Fund
- The Keith F. Barket Mesothelioma Research Fund
- Beckwith Family Foundation Endowed Research Scholars Program
- The Heidi Browning Endowed Ovarian Cancer Research Scholars Fund
- Ruth C. Brufsky Fund for Clinical Research on Pancreatic Cancer
- Patti Burns Fund
- Al Copeland Memorial Fund for Merkel Cell Carcinoma Research
- Sadie Gerson Distinguished Visiting Scholar Program
- Stuart Goodman Brain Cancer Memorial Fund
- Peter E. Hackney Fund for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Harvey G. Herberman, MD Memorial Cancer Research Fund
- Dr. George W. Hiett Foundation Fund
- Dr. Herbert E. Jacob Memorial Fund
- Hyman I. Katz Cancer Research Fund
- Barbara Klump Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Frank W. Knisley Memorial Fund
- Albert P. Knowles Research Fund
- David C. Koch Memorial Fund
- Mario Lemieux Patient Care and Cancer Research Fund
- Scott Limbach Entrepreneurial Center
- Stanley M. Marks, MD Endowed Research Fund
- The Liliana Muhlmann Masoner Cancer Fund
- Drew Mathieson Entrepreneurship Fund
- James A. Mollica Jr. Research Endowment Fund
- OHA Endowed Patient Assistance Fund
- PNC Innovation Fund
- Michael J. Parada Research Fund
- Parada Family Liposarcoma Research Fund
- Mark E. and Leah M. Pasquerilla Women's Cancer Research Fund
- Pasquerilla Cancer Genomics and Proteomics Research Fund
- Linda Saulle Endowed Memorial Fund
- Frieda G. and Saul F. Shapira BRCA Cancer Research Program
- The Spang Translational Research Core Facility
- Joseph and Giovanna Tarquinio Memorial Fund
- Edward Thaw Blood Research Fund
- Edward Underhill Memorial Fund for Colon Cancer Research
- Wayne Fusaro Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund
- Dr. Leonard S. Zombek Memorial Fund
- American Cancer Society, Inc.
- Family and Friends of Nathan S. Arenson*
- Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation
- DSF Charitable Foundation
- Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute
- The Giant Eagle Foundation
- Theresa Heinz and The Heinz Endowments
- Harriett L. and Ronald B. Herberman, MD
- Highmark Foundation
- Elsie H. and Henry L. Hillman
- Henry L. Hillman Foundation
- Hillman Foundation
- Family and Friends of Albert P. Knowles*
- New Era Cap Charitable Foundation and Family and Friends of David C. Koch*
- Mario Lemieux Foundation
- The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Richard King Mellon Foundation
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- N.S.A.B.P. Foundation, Inc.
- Arnold D. Palmer 2003 Charitable Trust
- Mark E. Pasquerilla
- PNC Financial Services Group and PNC Foundation
- The Pittsburgh Foundation
- Myles D. Sampson* and Family
- The David S. and Karen A. Shapira Foundation
- Sandra and Thomas Usher
- Debi and Harold W. Wheeler III
- Wheeler Family Charitable Trust
To make a gift of appreciated securities (stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares), please inform your broker or bank and notify us of your intention by telephone at 412-623-4700. A development officer can explain how easily the securities can be transferred to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Securities held for more than a year are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law and they may minimize capital gains liabilities.
Through planned or deferred gifts, you can offer a more substantial legacy than might be possible by making cash donations throughout your lifetime. Your deferred gift plays an important role in strengthening our research and clinical programs/services at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Planned gifts may be made in the form of bequests, life insurance, qualified retirement plans, or real estate. For more information, please call us at 412-623-4700 or visit The University of Pittsburgh's Gift Planning Center.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center gratefully acknowledges planned gifts from the following individuals:
- Cheryl and Bruce A. Americus
- Helen and Donald E. Chrise*
- Albert B. Deleo, PhD
- Alfred A. Dybeck
- Deborah S. Feckett Rhode
- Margaret M. and Jack B. Hill, MD
- Sally E. and Peter S. Kay
- Ms. Anna Piocquidio
- Hilda M. and Henry D. Sundermann Jr.
- Ms. Betty Lou Luketich
- Susan G. and Barney C. Guttman
- Yiannis Kaloyeropoulos
- Gayle Tissue
- Harriett L. and Ronald B. Herberman, MD
- Bonnie W. and Thomas L. VanKirk, Esq.
- Debi and Harold W. Wheeler ΙΙΙ
Corporate matching gifts count toward your contribution to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center and may significantly increase the value of your total gift.
- For more information about matching gifts to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center (patient care), contact Nicole Pesce at 412-647-0572.
- For more information about matching gifts to UPCI (research), contact Megan O'Neill at 412-624-5826.
Gifts from corporations or foundations can provide critical support for our efforts to advance innovative research at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (UPCI) and patient care at UPMC CancerCenter.
Foundations or corporations may provide support for specific initiatives or make gifts that are unrestricted for cancer research or patient care — gifts that will support our most pressing needs and allow us the flexibility to expedite our pursuit of new clinical or scientific priorities.
For additional information about a foundation or corporation, contact the Development Department at 412-623-4700.
The United Way of Allegheny County is one of 1,400 local, independent United Way branches nationwide. Focusing on the greater Pittsburgh area's most critical needs, the United Way's directory of agencies includes numerous funds that support UPCI and UPMC CancerCenter. Please refer to the following primary list of United Way designation codes, to support UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. To donate online and to access the full list of programs you may donate to at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, please visit their web site at the United Way of Allegheny County.
To ensure we can recognize your gift or pledge, please notify us directly at 412-623-4777.
United Way Designation Codes for UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
- Code 2331 — University of Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (to support our most pressing needs, including general cancer research)
- Code 1285996 — UPMC Hillman Cancer Center (to support our most pressing patient services, clinical care and patient education needs)
- Code 12699443 — UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Wellness and Integrative Oncology Program (to support pressing patient supportive care needs addressing the mind, body, and spirit)