Patient Education Materials at the Gumberg Family Resource Center
The Gumberg Family Resource Center, located on the ground floor of Hillman Cancer Center, provides educational materials and guidance to cancer patients and their families, friends, and caregivers.
A Patient Navigator and volunteers are available to help visitors and guests find the information they need and access supportive services offered at Hillman and in the community. The center has a wide range of free books and pamphlets from the National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society. It also has up-to-date information about specific cancers and treatment options.
Materials may be used in the center or borrowed. Patients and their families can use them during treatment, at home, or in the waiting area. If needed, the center will provide a postage paid envelope to return the materials with no fee. Some of the topics patients can learn about include:
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Side effect management
- Child and family concerns
- Caregiver tips
- Personal appearance
- Coping and stress management
- Integrative, palliative, and hospice care
- Prevention and early detection of cancer
Other resources include:
- Newspapers and magazines
- CD players and CDs of music and relaxation techniques
- Computers and laptops with internet access
- Movies and portable DVD players
- Support group listings in western Pennsylvania and parts of Ohio and West Virginia
- Lists of suggested websites and specialty shops
For out-of-town patients and guests, the Gumberg Family Resource Center offers concierge services. Concierges can help with:
- Directions, maps, parking, and transportation options
- Discounted lodging
- Dining options
- Pittsburgh attractions and activities
If you need help getting materials from the center, or if you have questions or comments, please call 412-623-4733. Remember, all services provided by the center are free.
The center was founded in 1992 at UPMC Montefiore. It moved to Hillman Cancer Center in 2002. Gifts and donations help to support the center. Donations are used to increase the selection of materials, upgrade equipment, and improve patient services.